Statistics and Facts
In Washington, DC:
- It is estimated that 3% of the people in Washington, DC are infected with HIV – about 3 times the national average.
- Washington, DC has the highest rate of new AIDS cases in the United States – more than 10 times the national average.
- In the District, 86% of those infected with HIV are people of color and 26% are women.
- The greatest increase in AIDS cases is occurring among people of color, women and injection drug users, and through heterosexual contact.
- 9% of all pediatric cases are in DC
In the United States:
- There are approximately 40,000 new HIV infections each year, and someone under the age of 25 is infected every 30 minutes.
- 1.2 million people are living with HIV, including more than 400,000 with AIDS.
- 25% of the people who are infected with HIV do not know they are infected.
- 17,011 people died from HIV/AIDS in 2005.
- HIV was the third leading cause of death for Black women and fourth for Black men, aged 25–44, in 2004.